Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    I've read that 604 E to the last sectoral before the CD types were only providing driver loading to about 1900 Hz but the Altec standard Xover is 1600 Hz
    I could never grasp the concept of loading since the phragm is barely moving in the first place and then every bit of air it is moving has to pass through 3 little human hair sized slits in the phase plug?
    I can't imagine I could load the horn if I put my lips on the phase plug and blew as hard as I could. That is if my definition of loading means building some kind of back pressure from the air trapped in the horn tube and horn assembly itself. I would surely think the phase plug is what provides loading if there is to be any.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cradeldorf; April 29th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    I could never grasp the concept of loading since the phragm is barely moving in the first place and then every bit of air it is moving has to pass through 3 little human hair sized slits in the phase plug?
    Think of the diaphragm that is like a tuning fork.When you wrap on the edge of the tuning fork it puts out a lot of sound but you won't see it moving much.It is the tremendous amount of vibrations in such a short time that creates the output or (SPL).Or something like that.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Think of the diaphragm that is like a tuning fork.When you wrap on the edge of the tuning fork it puts out a lot of sound but you won't see it moving much.It is the tremendous amount of vibrations in such a short time that creates the output or (SPL).Or something like that.
    Okay, that draws a better picture in my head. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    I still haven't built my XOs yet. After reading this thread I might try bi-amping my 604Ds with my Behringer DCX2496 first. Problem is I don't have enough amps and don't want to cannibalize my daily system to experiment. I might build another one of these: Transcendent Sound Cathode Follower Tube Amp and use it along with the one I have running my BR TV system to play with the 604s. They are a really sweet 3W/ch and I think I had around $500 all up into the scratch build of the first one. That's pretty cheap for a pure SE tubey.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    I stuffed the crossover back inside the cabinet today, then uncovered the front vent and put the full backs on. A different buddy stopped over and I let him have it with them....He was pretty much awestruck at how they sounded. It's fun sending them home like that. Funny thing is that he was over a month ago when they were sounding horrible. He approved that they were 1000's of times better now.
    Last edited by cradeldorf; May 8th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member sanhanul's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2012
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    A different buddy stopped over and I let him have with them....He was pretty much awestruck at how they sounded. It's fun sending them home like that. Funny thing is that he was over a month ago when they were sounding horrible. He approved that they were 1000's of times better now.

    that's encouraging me a lot to start the project of the Zobel crossover.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    the flicker link is no longer any good.
    Which flicker link? I just hit both of mine without a problem although the crossover is not the correct one? You have to plug in the numbers from the original post from this thread.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sanhanul View Post
    that's encouraging me a lot to start the project of the Zobel crossover.
    I'm still running them this way Sanhanul...very happy with them now.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    I still haven't built my XOs yet. After reading this thread I might try bi-amping my 604Ds with my Behringer DCX2496 first. Problem is I don't have enough amps and don't want to cannibalize my daily system to experiment. I might build another one of these: Transcendent Sound Cathode Follower Tube Amp and use it along with the one I have running my BR TV system to play with the 604s. They are a really sweet 3W/ch and I think I had around $500 all up into the scratch build of the first one. That's pretty cheap for a pure SE tubey.
    Alan,
    does the transcendent plan come with a BOM? If so would you mind sharing? I'm thinking about building another tube amp and this one looks promising.
    - Mike

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    It does. I had to source the parts from 3 suppliers. I wish I kept my receipts; I'm planning on building 2 more.

    It also comes with step by step wiring instructions. The hardest part of the job is laying out and drilling the holes in the chassis. I bought a cheap step drill bit and it worked just fine. Get an aluminum chassis, not steel.

    Here is a link to the TS forum and my build thread:

    CFA Build... - Transcendent Sound Message Board

    The plan calls for a laminated power tranny, but there is an inexpensive toroid available for 1/3 the price http://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=673 and it makes it even more quiet. It tells all in the thread. It was my first scratch build and I received lots of help from the regulars.

    It is a wonderful amp. Not much to look at, but very liquid and musical. It's rated at 3W steady state, but it sounds more like 10.

    If you decide to do it, contact me for the big filter caps. It takes 3 and they are about $25/ea retail. I have a bunch. I'll sell you all 3 for $25.
    Last edited by alancohen; May 8th, 2013 at 04:36 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    the flicker link is no longer any good.
    Sonic Barbarian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.